I finished the house dress! The jacket part is a bit snug. This is why pattern specifications are important. The woman who made this pattern used a knit fabric. Knit fabrics usually have a lot of stretch to them. I used an old sheet. It has no stretch. At all. But I’m ok with it.
I changed the sleeves as well. I didn’t want something that would be snug around my arm. The less fabric touching my body the better, but I still needed sleeves, so enter the flutter sleeve. It’s really easy to make. I took a dinner plate and traced it onto my fabric. Then I cut out two, one for each sleeve. After that, I cut a slit roughly half the diameter of the circle. If you lay that part flat, the curved part makes a kind of ruffle. Then you sew the flat part where the original sleeve would have gone. I also lengthened the ties so I could tie them in the back, rather than having them sewn down.
As for the dress, it’s really simple. I don’t know why it took me so long to do that. I think I was psyching myself out, thinking I had more to do than I actually did. For the top part I used a t-shirt that is a size too small. I cut it straight across below the arm and set the upper part aside, maybe for another project. With the lower, I turned it up-side down so that the bottom hem is now the top, tried it on to make sure it would actually get on my body, and then attached the skirt to the cut off edge.
I think the end result turned out fairly decently.
Now for pictures of my cute and cranky excuse to procrastinate: